Friday 1 May 2015

Gimme Greens!


Whenever the sun makes an appearance, my body seems to crave a diet overhaul. I want big leafy salads, avocados in every variation possible, and for vegetables to be at the focus of each meal. 

Here is a collection of what I've been making since spring kicked into action. Admittedly, it’s not all perfectly healthy; I don’t shy away from cooking with oil, cheese is a glorious thing and I refuse to get rid of carbs (though they do take a slight backseat in these dishes). 

Without further ado, here are the greens:



Pea & parsley soup*: Topped with crumbled ryvita. This is a refreshing variation on the classic pea and mint soup which is perfect for the summer months.

Marinated courgettes with mozzarella*: Need I say more?

Avocado, spinach & sweet chilli wraps: The flatbreads used are home-made and surprisingly simple (recipe). This combination of flavours is just divine, I find myself going back to it often.




Recently I learnt how to poach eggs, as you may be able to tell, it's rather consumed my life.

Steamed asparagus: This can be done in a microwave in four minutes, it's amazing! Dress with lemon and balsamic vinegar, top with a poached egg and you have lunch sorted in a flash.

Avocado & sweet chilli on toast: Along with two poached eggs on a bed of spinach and the leftover avocado. There is nothing on this plate that does not please me.

Spiced spinach & potatoes*: I've made this twice since last week, it's superb. The warming ginger at the base of this dish is what makes it.




Tahini-dressed courgette & green bean salad*: Or proof that a salad works wonderfully as a meal in its own right. From the delightfully named 'Hearty Salads' chapter of Veg Everyday.

Summer Stir-Fry*: I adore stir-fries but often turn to the packet mixes available in the supermarket. This recipe proved to me just how simple (and delicious!) they are to make from scratch.

Falafel, beetroot & spinach salad: When making falafel for one, you end up with far more than needed. I chopped up my leftovers and tossed it into a salad with cous cous, spinach, beetroot and pumpkin seeds.




Scrambled eggs on toast: Fail-safe meal for when you just can't be bothered to cook. Toss in some shredded spinach and chopped tomatoes before serving and it looks like you've made an effort. It's the dress of the food world.

Sweet potato, lentil & spinach bowl: I saw this on Madeleine Shaw's instagram and made it that night, realising I had all the ingredients in my cupboard. Warming and earthy this is a beautiful dish.

Spinach, avocado & poached egg on toast: When in doubt, throw some ingredients on toast, it's bound to be successful. Accompanied by green beans with a balsamic dressing.

All recipes marked with a star (*) are from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Veg Everyday; the rest have been inspired from scrolling through my instagram feed or are cobbled together from whatever I have in. This has all been cooked on a volunteer's allowance which goes to show that healthy eating on a budget is possible; it's all about planning and shopping smartly. I don't always get those two things right but I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment